Duquesne Small Business Development Center

Helping businesses start,

grow and prosper

The Duquesne University Small Business Development Center (SBDC) offers no-cost, confidential consulting services and training workshops for small businesses and those who are thinking of starting a business in southwestern Pennsylvania.
Social Media

   Follow Duquesne SBDC on Twitter


Follow the Duquesne SBDC on Facebook!   Youtube

Contact Us

Our primary offices are located at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, PA.


Duquesne University

Small Business Development Center

108 Rockwell Hall

600 Forbes Ave

Pittsburgh, PA 15282-0103


Phone: (412) 396-1633

Fax: (412) 396-5884

Email: duqsbdc@duq.edu

Monday through Friday 8:30AM to 4:30 PM


Contact Us Now



Environmental Management Assistance Program (EMAP)
Areas of Assistance



EMAP is a specialized consulting service of the PA Small Business Development Centers.  We provide free and confidential environmental and energy assistance to small businesses in Pennsylvania. 

Our EMAP consultants will help you understand and comply with regulatory requirements and improve your operations by reducing your energy use and waste. 

EMAP provides Pennsylvania small businesses with the answers and assistance they need for environmental management.





Regulatory compliance is a concern for many small businesses. Whether you are an existing business, or just getting started, it is very important for you to determine what regulations you are subject to, and what you need to do to stay in compliance.


But with today's complex and ever-changing environmental regulations, it's difficult to stay on top of it all, especially when you have so many priorities and often only limited resources to devote to any one of them. 


EMAP offers free, one-on-one, confidential assistance to help small business owners understand and comply with the environmental rules and regulations specific to their business.


Important regulatory topics for small business include:

  • Air
  • Waste
  • Water
  • Storage Tanks


Basically, if your business operations discharge anything to the land, air or water, you may be subject to DEP regulation and you may need a permit. This can include things that aren't immediately obvious. For example, equipment like ovens used in bakeries or restaurants; heating systems (once they reach a certain size), the handling, using or disposing of almost any kind of chemical; even backup generators may require a permit.


Other Resources:

For more information about EMAP, please contact:
Chuck Haney (717) 477 - 1123 ext. 3393